Re: Debian WWW CVS: joy

On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 02:37:48PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:

> > Instances of UK were changed to 'GB Great Britain'. UK was used,
> > because a few people from England preferred it. If you want,
> > 'UK United Kingdom' could be used.
>
> The `GB' is unfortunate... I thought we should stick to the ISO standard.

Aren't both listed?

> > but overuse of 'you' should be avoided.
>
> Is that bad style? It seems to me that using 'you' makes the page more
> personal, and being impersonal is a common objection against the pages :)

When writing a letter, it's fine. When writing longer documents, being
consistent in your writing is a great boon to clarity. Using 'you' all
the time becomes repetetive. Also, while I'd grant that using 'you' is
less formal, it doesn't, by itself, make a document more personal.
Just take a look at junk mail. Informal? Definitely. Personal? No way.

My impression is that the complaints about the site being impersonal
have more to do with the layout than the information (text) provided.

>   The 'Site:' field should contain the name under which the mirror

agreed.

> >   will be listed, with other names listed under Aliases.
>
> s/will be/should get/ because the submitter says what should be the entry,
> not necessarily what will be.

Blech. If you really want to change it, I'd go with '...under which you
wish the mirror to be listed.' Why did I use 'you' here? Because I wanted
to let them know it is their decision.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org