Re: The rounded edges

On Fri, Nov 24, 2000 at 07:40:16PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 24, 2000 at 06:19:47PM +0100, peter karlsson wrote:
> > I just noticed that on the Arabic translation, which is right-to-left,
> > the rounded edges on the red navbar are pointing in the wrong
> > direction, at least in *shrug* MSIE.
>
> Do you know how to fix it? Is there a way to force <html dir="LTR"> on the
> the navbar table? Perhaps <span dir="LTR"> or something like that...
>
> I also noticed none of the navigation bar images work, and that there's a
> notice in English at the top of the page saying the page is obsolete, so it
> would appear that the wrong direction of images isn't quite the biggest
> problem with the Arabic translation. Shaheen, can you fix it please?

Actually, I think I was the culprit here.  Some months ago, I changed
the following line in webwml/english/template/debian/basic.wml from:

	<HTML lang="$(CUR_ISO_LANG)">
	<HTML lang="$(CUR_ISO_LANG)"[AR: dir="RTL":][HE: dir="RTL":]>

So *everything* goes from right-to-left, just just the text, but the menu
too.  (The menu bar got switched from the left to the right hand side.)
It wasn't a big problem back then, so I didn't worry about it.  However, I
see that there are more problems than I imagined.  :-)

I have just reversed the change, and that should fix the problem.
Besides, Microsoft IE (and perhaps Mozilla, Netscape 6 and any other
compliant browsers) would automatically display Arabic/Hebrew text RTL
anyway, so the <HTML dir="RTL"> isn't really necessary.  (I hope.  :-)

Cheers,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@ualberta.ca, foka@debian.org    University of Alberta, Canada