Re: Web site his future

On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 11:03:39PM +0100, Christian Surchi wrote:
> I was talking about it in irc with Joy and I'd like to discuss here this
> question. I'd like to see for example a new style for our web pages and
> I'm not an artist and I didn't see artists in the project offering help
> or new ideas.
>
> So, from the point of view of Project and rest of the world, I see that
> we have only NM as way to call people to help us. I don't think we need
> all people working on web site are devolopers (in the sense of packaging
> or other technical aspects I mean).
>
> I remember also Nils Lohner's Projects project and I think web question
> could be related. I don't want to offer a job for developing a new
> debian web site, but I'd like to call people that could be interested in
> the growth of our project (also artists) but aren't interested directly
> in packaging or technical development for our distribution.

We have had had people asking us about helping with the website, I think
the webmasters in general need to work out how we can use some creative
people in getting a better website.

While the current website is good, I always believe there is always room
for improvement.  A separate specific project would be good, which could
then be rolled into the current site.  That way the maintenance of the
website is not distirbed but it gets improved.

Stuff similar to what Will Trillich (sp?) emailed is what we need.  you
may not agree with everything he said, but ceratinly the queries should
of least been asked. IIRC, his main concern was what usefulness is the
website for a newbie.

The main problem is you get this case of "great idea, but now what". I'd
say have a small group that has a few test pages, perhaps a site re-org
or suggestions for missing pages. Once it is generally agreed that yes
this is what we want to do it gets implemented.  This small group can
then ponder the next stlyistic thing that needs looking at.

I think the dual model would work, of course people may sit in both
camps and that's fine too.

 - Craig
--
Craig Small VK2XLZ  GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.eye-net.com.au/        <csmall@eye-net.com.au>