Re: ToDo list for organization and project pages

On Mon, Jul 10, 2000 at 07:19:46PM +0200, Nils Lohner wrote:
> - figure out who owns and updates http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/ix/pseudopack
> ages.html so that we can add more pseudo packages to submit bugs against

The FTP admins, the master copy is available using anonymous rsync in
ftp-master.debian.org::masterfiles, IIRC. I investigated on this a few days
ago.

> - figure out if all of the info in master:/org/debian.org/mail/alias can be
> published or if there's some mail magic in there that shouldn't be ona web
> page

ITYM automatically published... but it wouldn't be very useful, it seems.
It'd be like http://www.debian.org/devel/maintainer_contacts, just more
crowded with names (but OTOH it wouldn't need constant maintenance).

> - write scripts to generate sub-page with real addresses: Parse the org
> page, read the alias file, and generate a web page with a table to be linked
> from org page.

The purpose of a page with real names and (especially) real addresses is
doubtful. People shouldn't contact developers personally if e.g. something
needs to be done on the web pages, they should mail the alias.

> - automatically generate a link into the debian-mailing list page to get
> mailing list descriptions

The mailing lists' pages need to be reorganized and broken out in sections,
that would be more browsable:

user -- User lists
devel -- Development lists
int -- Internationalization and Translations
ports -- Ports to non-i386 architectures
bugs -- The Bugtracking System
foreign -- Lists hosted for other projects

And then we should have links to the specific list, e.g.

Such pages should also unify mailing list subscription and unsubscription,
per list.

The script that generates the pages, mklist, and the lists.cfg file, may be
found in my home directory on master, ~joy/, so if anyone's interested in
doing this, please feel free. If not, I'll do it. One day. :)