Re: help with meta-html and making my own templates

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 04:18:07PM +0000, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You'll see my latest efforts in CVS at /webwml/english/devel/debian-jr/
>
> In particular, I'm wondering how I should name/structure my own template
> files.  I have used meta-HTML for structuring the data in a couple of
> lists, named the data files foo.data (cf. /webwml/english/y2k) but
> couldn't find a naming convention in use for templates.  I have called
> them .tmpl because I wasn't sure if calling them .wml would end up causing
> them to be converted to .html.  However, now looking at
> /webwml/english/SPI/template, I see files named .wml, but no seperate
> Makefile in that directory.  Furthermore, the top-level Makefiles in
> /webwml/english/SPI skip "template" in SUBS, and treat them in a special
> fashion.  Is SPI a good example to copy, or is my approach using ".tmpl"
> an keeping everything in the current dir adequate?

All the templates for the main pages are in english/template/debian.
If you don't put them there, then the translations won't see them.
Note that you only need to create your own template file if you
don't want to use one of the existing ones.

The purpose of using .data files is to separate out 'data' from the
purely textual parts of files. This can make keeping translations up
to date much easier, as changes to the data do not require any work
on the part of the translators (unless a new slice is introduced).
If you don't have data that lends itself to such an automated process,
then you don't need to use .data files. BTW, the extension .data has no
meaning. It was simply chosen as a standard so people could easily tell
the purpose of different files.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org