Sorting on country names [was Re: Debian WWW CVS: treacy]

On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 09:00:26AM +0100, peter karlsson wrote:
> Debian WWW CVS:
>
> > Log message:
> > moved ftp mirror list into data file and updated Makefiles
>
> Dang. That changed the sort order to sort on the English names, which looks
> really weird on the Swedish page (like, for instance, that the Swedish word
> for Austria starts with the last letter of the Swedish alphabet (Ö), and
> thus should be last instead of first...).

I didn't consider this when I moved them. Separating the data from the
text is supposed to improve things not go backwards.

Since slices are handled in the last pass of wml, we can't use them in a
sort function. We'd have to put the countries in a perl hash. This
actually wouldn't be difficult since we are (probably) going to convert
to using the iso3166 abbrevs for countries and this could be done at
the same time.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org