Proposed change in how the templates are handled

I am considering having changes to the template files be
sent through an intermediate set of files, say
english/template/updates. This is prompted partly because
there have been a number of mistakes made by people
when modifying them. More importantly though, modifying
the templates can cause all of the web pages to be
rebuilt and that is starting to take much too long.

I haven't checked how long it takes for a complete rebuild,
but I know it is longer than 3 hours. A guess is around 5.

As mentioned above, the idea is to create an intermediate
set of template files that people can modify. Then once
or twice a week the changes can be checked for correctness,
copied over to the main location and a rebuild done.

What do people think?

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org