web access to package copyright, changlogs, etc.[was Re: libc6 changelog empty]

Perhaps the space/time/work requirements make it
inadvisable, but it's nice to be able to investigate
a release's packages from any web browser, even from
a different release or from a non-debian system.

Being able to view a package's "control" file (or
information extracted from it) would make it easier
to answer questions like "if I decide to install
this package will I have to remove something else"?
If we're doing related work anyway, I think we should
consider it.

So, who's doing the work on this (improved availability
and timeliness of changelogs, etc.), and how can I
help?

"James A. Treacy" wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 29, 1999 at 03:06:02AM +0000, David Coe wrote:
> >
> > Nice idea.  It would be nice (in my opinion) to have the
> > debian/control files available that way, too (because
> > the Conflicts: apparently don't show up on the package's
> > web page).
>
> Can you tell me why this information should be on the page?
> This is handled much better by the packaging management
> tools that come with Debian. Also, only a few people are
> interested in that information. I'd rather keep the
> pages as short and simple as possible so newbies aren't
> intimidated. BTW, the pages already take up 15MB.
> If you want to help with the web site, subscribe to
> debian-www and see what's going on.

I'm here; thanks.