Re: Web Site Size

On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 04:24:11PM -0700, Darren O. Benham wrote:
> Do you normally use one of the mirrors?  Why not collect the opinion of
> people who routinly use mirrors for browsing... which mirror do they use
> and do they go back to the main site to use the BTS or stick with thier
> mirror.

What's the point of an opinion poll? I see this as a technical
discussion, not a popularity contest. What I'm curious about is much
load the mirroring generates versus how much load it relieves. Is
mirroring a multi-gig archive to a bunch of machines saving n*multi-gig
bandwidth? How can the mirroring be allocated to get the most bang for
the byte? I'm targeting the BTS specifically because it's fairly large
and because latency is fairly important.  (Checking the BTS before
nagging a maintainer is only helpful if the data is up to date.) Even
the mailing list archives are more amenable to mirroring than the BTS,
because their historical content is relevant; the historical content of
the BTS is nil, because old bug reports are dropped (different argument. :)

Mike Stone