Re: Attribution to Apache on the web site ?

On Tue, Jan 26, 1999 at 04:39:53PM -0800, Darren Benham wrote:
> As complicated as Debian's web site is, there could be enough buttons to
> clutter the page.  If we put a button for one, we should probably put buttons
> for the there software... if one exists.
>
> On 26-Jan-99 Gregor Hoffleit wrote:
> > I replied that Apache's license has not even a voluntary, non-binding
> > clause to use their "powered by" button, but still, I wonder if it
> > wasn't nice if we would somehow advertise the fact that our main web
> > server is also run by free software (don't know about the mirrors).

Yep, that's right, we should avoid to use buttons, the more since they
we can't be sure that all our www.*.debian.org mirrrors are "powered
by Apache" as well.

My idea was more like this: On the welcome page, we're advertizing
Linux and the GNU tools, which is a fair thing since they are,
arguable, the foundations of the Debian GNU/Linux distribution. Still,
I think it's a little bit odd that we don't even mention other free
software on our pages.

Apache and Perl are very well-known things, why don't we yell out that
they're free as well. IMHO that's a kind of advertisment pro Debian as
well.

Maybe we could link "Debian comes with _over_1500_packages_ ..." to a
new page that lists some prominent and some less famous examples of
free software, perhaps from different fields to give an overview of
what's possible with a completely free system.

May even better, the page could dynamically fetch some random package
descriptions from main -- something like our "10 packages of the
week", or we could peruse the popularity contest to list the most
popular packages.

Just an rough idea,

	Gregor