Re: Debian prononciation

On Fri, Dec 03, 1999 at 12:29:47PM +0100, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
> I'm not sure of word 'Debian' pronounciation. It's on the 'about' page, and
> I've got to make it readable for a Polish-speaking person...
>
> Please see the attached gzipped wav and send me your choice. (or maybe a
> recording of 'the proper way' if it's even diffirent)

If I heard your recording correctly, were you asking whether "Debian"
should be pronounced as [de'bi@n] or ['debi@n] (IPA notation)?  :-)
(the "@" is supposed to be an upside-down "e", or the schwa, a.k.a. the
natural vowel.)  I don't know.  I myself usually say ['debi@n].  Maybe
we should ask Ian and Debra Murdock.  :-)

Cheers,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@ualberta.ca, foka@debian.org    University of Alberta, Canada