suggestions needed: woes of extracting /usr/doc/ files

The lintian repository on master is currently supplying the
usr/doc/{copyright,changelog.Debian.gz} files for the Packages
pages. It is just not reliable enough for us(*) so I'm looking
into extracting the files using a script.

I'm considering serving the /usr/doc files dynamically.
This meas ripping the .deb apart (trivial) and extracting
the /usr/doc (and /usr/share/doc) portions of data.tar.gz.
Instead of writing them to disc, I was hoping to store
the information directly in perl. Anyone have a suggestion
on how to do this?

(*)the usr/doc files from the lintian repository:
 - are only available for packages in unstable
 - sometimes aren't available even for a package in unstable
 - the upstream changelog, changelog.gz, is not available.
 - only the files from the package which was last installed
   in unstable will be available. This means that if the sparc
   package foo 1.1 is uploaded after the arm package foo 1.3,
   only the /usr/doc files from version 1.1 are available.

Jay Treacy