Re: For the Abolishment of "Ports"

On Wed, Aug 11, 1999 at 04:59:31AM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> [Followups to debian-www please, to which I am not subscribed]
>
> Far better than politically correct vocabulary musings would be if
> someone would get off their duff, and volunteer their Perl-infested
> soul on debian-www, for the express purposes of de-i386-izing our web
> site.
>
> To wit, <URL:http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages> and all it's
> stuff is hopelessly i386-centric.

Regarding the Packages section:
Writing perl is not the problem. Ideally, all the 'ports' would
be in sync so a single page could be used for every package.
As it stands, there is too much version skew to allow this without
making the pages overly large and complicated. Disagree? Dependencies,
for example, change between versions more frequently than you'd imagine.
It turns out that you can't depend on any of the information on
the page not changing between version, except the package name
(if that changes, it gets a new page). This makes it really hard
to design a nice clean page.

There are 2 alternatives. One is to have separate pages for each
port. This would use a lot of disk space and require significant
bandwidth for the daily mirror updates. The second is to use
dynamically generated pages. The problem with dynamically generated
pages is that many parts of the world do not have very good
connections to www.debian.org (or master for that matter which
is where the cgi scripts would likely be located).

Comments?

Jay Treacy