Re: [treacy@debian.org: Re: release info]

On Sat, Feb 13, 1999 at 06:35:04PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:

> James, you said bring it up :) My reply is down below.

Thanks. I've added Brian White for reasons that will become clear below.

> On Sat, Feb 13, 1999 at 02:21:04PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> >
> > Yesterday while I was translating some devel/ pages (to Croatian,
> > with consent of the translation coordinator) I noticed that
> > release_info.wml says:
> >
> > <P><STRONG>Debian version 2.2</STRONG> (Nickname: potato)
> >    <UL>
> >    <LI>estimated release - Late Spring or Summer 1999
> >    <LI>Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS)
> >    <LI>PAM integration
> >    <LI>Apt (part 3), the new front end to the package management system (dpkg)
> >    <LI>first public release for powerpc architecture
> >    <LI>perl 5.005 and ncurses
> >    <LI>other goals to be decided
> >    </UL>
> >
> > A lot of these seem vague to me. Don't we already abide by some version
> > of that filesystem standard? PAM integration exists in some packages, you
> > should insert words 'much better'. Apt frontend is not exactly a frontend
> > only to dpkg, but to backend apt-* apps, isn't it? Perl may come to 5.006
> > by that time, and the ncurses entry is rather opaque to me :)
> >
> > Also you should add 'the great X reorganization' to slink's list, and
> > X 3.3.3.1 to this, potato's, list.
> >

> Please bring such things up on debian-www. We have been looking for someone
> to maintain this page, but haven't had much luck. Wanna volunteer?
> One addition should be listing the kernel that is distributed with each
> release, except for future ones. :)
>
> If that page is better maintained, it would be linked from the main page.
>
> Jay Treacy
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----
>
> I'll be willing to do some investigation on what exactly was
> in some of these releases. I only don't know where to find info about
> packages in buzz and rex - can someone point me to some archive of it,
> or at least send me a status/available/Packages file from these?
> I follow other lists, so I could fill in some newer stuff too.

My goal here is not to be a pain, but...
we need more than someone who will just make a single update. We need
someone who is responsible for keeping this up to date. Otherwise,
it will just rot over the next few months again.

After thinking about it for a while, the logical choice would be the
release manager, who is currently Brian White. Since the release
manager is ultimately responsible for what gets into a given release
they should have a good idea of what should go on this page.

This does not mean that they even need to take care of the html. If
someone is willing to send updates to webmaster@debian.org we'd be
willing to make the changes. But someone needs to feed us the info.

Jay Treacy