Re: packages.debian.org

On Wed, Jan 20, 1999 at 02:45:16PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:

> Yes, gdb works now. I followed the murphy's law, and tried
> packages.debian.org/ae. You know the story... :)
> Once again, it doesn't find 'ae' (or bc), but finds aegis{-doc}.
> It seems to be only the search error because ae's page exists at
> http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/base/ae.html.
> The only remaining question here is whether we have one-letter
> packages ;-D

If it was up to me there wouldn't be any two letter package names.
I'll add two letter words when I recompile.

> <five minutes later> I think that it is not only about three letter
> one's. I tried 'make' and it gave me only make-doc, makepasswd, but
> not the 'make' itself :( Interestingly, it found 'gcc' when I searched
> for 'gcc', but it marked it last on the list, 16%. I tried apache too,
> since -common/doc packages also exists, and 'apache' was in the list,
> but also ranked too low.

It appears that 'make' is in the list of ignored words. I'll recompile a
new version. There isn't much I can do about the quality results reported
(or the resulting order) without rewriting part of the program.

> Also, you realy should change some words in the output. The percentage
> column is named 'Quality' which is kind of confusing. I suggest you
> change that to 'Match:' or something else.
> It would be a good idea not to put the 'Release' column after the
> 'Quality' since this leads to output like this (at least in my lynx):
>
>    100%   unstable  make-doc 3.77-4   (3982 bytes)
>    Documentation for the GNU version of the "make" utility.
>
> Note the '100% unstable', which may lead to confusion.
> And if you do that, remove the file size after the description, it
> can only cause the confusion (and who really needs that file size?).

Actually, file sizes is something many people demanded. What they probably
really want, but didn't specify, is the size of the package. They aren't
going to get it (hmmm, actually I just thought of a slick way to do that
which will only take 10 min to implement).

As for the layout, send in html markup for a different layout and if I
like it I'll implement it. Leave in the package sizes as it'll probably
be implemented tonight.

Jay Treacy