Re: HTTP mirrors

On Sat, 4 Apr 1998, James A.Treacy wrote:

> Karl is not adverse to this. In fact he mentioned that he is already doing
> some of it (I'm in a rush and don't have time to check what he's done).
> I'm sure he wouldn't mind some help on this.

Okay then, I would like to transcribe all known information about all
mirros into a single machine parsable file in the sources.list format (see
http://www.debian.org/~jgg/deity/files.html) I'll prepare a starting
point..

I could start on this, but certainly do not have time to talk to every
mirror - there are too many.

With the information in the sources.list format I could write a fairly
simple selection tool that asked what bits you wanted to get (stable,
unstable, main, contrib, non-us, etc) and then collated a list of all
possible sources pinged them and selected the best one for each section.

> It would be much appreciated if someone were to actively work on getting
> more mirrors to also serve the docs using http.

docs?

Thanks
Jason