Re: Including package's home page with package description

On Mon, Dec 14, 1998 at 10:43:56AM -0500, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

> When I navigate the net for new software, I like to see
> screenshots (eg. LyX, wxftp, xemacs, etc).  I presume that users
> navigating http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages would also
> often want to know more about a package before downloading it.
>
> A few of these questions could be answered with an extra link to
> the package's home page (if it exists) on the Debian package's
> page.
>
> The only problem is that this info is not currently included with
> the packages.
>
> Perhaps a new and optional www line in the control file would be
> a nice addition?

I have been pushing for a mechanism to do this (any mechanism as
some people have strong opinions on how this shouldn't be done and
shot down the proposal I made).

As with all packaging related issues, reasons for not pursuing this
were given and the matter dropped. At this rate we will never have
any improvements, or changes of any kind, to the packaging side of
things.

Jay Treacy