Re: unclear formulations in license_disc.wml

--On Tue, Oct 13, 1998 1:41 pm +0200 "Philipp Frauenfelder"

Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Whilst the sentence you give is correct (more or less - the GPL doesn't
> restrict distribution for profit, merely licensing for-profit - a subtle,
> but important difference), I don't think that it is in fact the desired
> meaning.

Hmm.. Richard Stallman's rationale focussed on "Software Hoarding" being
bad -- that since the cost of reproducing software is infitesimally
small that it's economically bad [as an aside: bad, in economics,
is usually equivalent to "extremely inefficient" or "tending towards
extreme inefficiency"] to collect a lot for the activity.

With this in mind, I'd be tempted to phrase the sentence as:

"Anyone who releases software using the GPL does not consider these
restrictions bad, because they force people making money off their
hard work to share that work with the public".

--
Raul