Re: Design of the port pages

In message <E0z6cpz-0000A3-00@landru.math.uwaterloo.ca>, treacy@debian.org
writ
es:
>Just an idea on how to organize the ports pages.
>
>There could be a menubar on the left or top which points
>to all the standard pages that every port will have:
>installation guide, docs (whatever they might be),
>status page, etc. The body of the main page can then
>contain anything important that doesn't fit in the
>other pages. This would allow each port to customize
>their page while allowing them to have a uniform look.
>
>I could see the main page for each port becoming the
>main link for people (meaning that they use them
>instead of the main page). We need to decide whether this
>is something we want to work towards or avoid.
>Having people use them as their main link means we'd
>have to duplicate a lot of information on each page.
>It could also allow people to have easier access to
>what concerns them.

  By main page, you mean main deb page, or main port page?

>If we emphasize the port pages, then the main Debian page
>would be simplified to give background information about
>Debian and have links to the different ports. The port
>pages would then look something like the main page,
>but links, such as to the installation docs, would go
>directly to the relevant one. If done right most links
>would go to a common area to minimize work. The Support
>page and Developer's Corner are examples of common links.
>
>Jay Treacy

  The main deb page I think should stay largely as it is... I think the port
page should be one of the main links from the main menubar though.

  Overall, I really like the idea.  I get posting information requests every
so often, and I think this would cut down on those.  Jules, what do you
think?

Nils.