Re: access to ftp archive under http

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, James A.Treacy wrote:

> I have written to mirror@debian.org to see if they will handle sending
> out messages and collecting site names. It is important that we
> have a mechanism for collecting and distributing the site names that
> support http before we start asking them to set it up.

I would like to have a specially formed master list of all available
mirrors and what they carry. I have a basis for the idea at
http://www.debian.org/~jgg/deity/files.html

The document reads a little to specificationy, but my current scheme is a
file containing lines like:

deb http://llug.sep.bnl.gov/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://llug.sep.bnl.gov/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb http://llug.sep.bnl.gov/debian project/experimental/
deb http://llug.sep.bnl.gov/debian Incoming/
deb ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free non-us
deb ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free non-us

That should illistrate the main points in the document, the user would
then simply specify a single line like:

deb mirror:http://www.debian.org/archivemirrors unstable main contrib non-free non-us

Which would grab things from llug and non-us.debian.org.

This file would only list the prefered technique (HTTP) even if the site
supports multiple access methods. HTTP refers to a HTTP/1.1 complient
server supporting Range, If-Range and pipelining. The only server I know
that supports all of these is Apache 1.3, Jon is working on getting boa
(a 50k webserver) to support them but isn't going to be done anytime soon.
I do not think Apache 1.2 supports the needed features.

HTTP/1.0 servers will work but with diminishing desireability as they
loose features. Also, there is no problem running the servers on different
ports, with a mirror list like this it is all transparent to the user
anyhow.

Here is a list of all servers that I know serve the archive via http,
 http://ftp.kernel.org/mirrors/debian  -- Apache 1.1, no HTTP/1.1
 http://llug.sep.bnl.gov/debian -- Roxen, no HTTP/1.1
 http://ftp1.us.debian.org/debian - Apache 1.3b, HTTP/1.1
 http://ftp.cdrom.com/?? - Haven't checked.

The overseas sites servering non-us are very important to get a HTTP/1.1
server because the speed gains on high latency links are -very-
substantial.

Jason