Re: debian-user faqomatic

> On Sun, Jan 18, 1998 at 04:53:52PM -0500, Igor Grobman wrote:
> >
> > The last couple of days, I've been setting up the framework for a debian-user
> > FAQ using FAQ-O-Matic perl scripts by Jon Howell.  You can now see the
> > skeleton at http://www.debian.org/cgi-bin/fom.  Please take a look in the
> > "About this FAQ" section.  That is the only one that has some answers so far
> > :-).
>
> I really like the idea of a self extending data base. I have an idea,
> although I don't know if this is possible (but I hope so).
>
> Can the debian faq that results be packaged? Two ways seems appropriate:
>
> * Standard way in /usr/doc, various formats provided.

This would be hard, because the only way to see the whole faq in faqomatic is
dump it into one big html file, and that's not pretty.

> * With cgi scripts, so that I can write additions local (sparing online
> time), and that will get send via mail to the right person.

This works, and I did some work on the faq this way.  The annoying thing about
this is that I have to ask someone who is root on
va to incorporate my changes.  This works fine so far as #debian has a couple
of regulars who have root on va. :-)

> The debian package should be build as often as the database changes, on a
> weekly or later on a monthly base perhaps?
>
> Can this be done?

I hope this will be possible.  I'll email the author about those bugs.  I have
a feeling he knows though.

> > I'll spend the rest of the day filling in some answers.  After that, I'll need
> > help, and I hope I'll get some :-).
>
> Sure. It will explode, I think (and the user list will cripple and vanish ;)

That's my hope.  The announcement is coming up...

--
Proudly running Debian Linux! Linux vs. Windows is a no-Win situation....
Igor Grobman           igor@debian.org                 igor@digicron.com