Re: FYI: debian-legal is discussing the inclusion in the Debian archive of "erotic" interactive fiction depicting the sexual abuse of children

On 11/03/14 14:55, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 01:47:22AM -0500, Joseph Neal wrote:
>> Hey, all
>>
>> I hate to stir up shit, but that's exactly what I'm doing.
> :(
>
> The tone on that thread has been really respectful up until now; if
> anyone does want to voice concern, please do maintain a very polite
> tone. This is way too easy to get upset about (also, trigger warning on
> the game and game description, it's pretty bad)
>
>> Several people have already objected but I hope there will be such a
>> resounding rejection that nobody considers submitting something like
>> this again in the future.
> All the debian project members that I've read so far are either
> undecided (due to not having played it, and waiting to evaluate if it
> has any artistic merit) or against it.
>
> I can think of a few people who'd likely support it's inclusion, but
> this isn't the mainstream viewpoint. There's an ftpteam meeting about
> this coming up, and there'll be an 'official' response.

Is this within the scope of the FTP teams duties or should the FTP team
focus solely on the licensing/copyright adherence or does the FTP team
also screen things for more general compliance purposes?  I would feel
that the latter would be a much bigger burden on the FTP team and maybe
things like this should automatically be dealt with elsewhere.

On the specific issue itself, does Debian have sufficient policies to
use in such cases?  E.g. the diversity statement would appear to suggest
the Debian welcomes everybody along with their different viewpoints,
even those who are sexist or those who are pedophiles, etc.  That
probably wasn't the intention of the policy, but that is the risk of
freedom.