Re: women mentoring project

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 07:43:35PM +1000, Helen Faulkner wrote:
> Hello Emily,
>
> I gather that you have emailed mentoring@women.debian.org, which, the last
> I looked, sent emails to myself, Leslie (I'm so sorry I have forgotten her
> surname) and Erinn Clark.  The email address of mine that it points to is
> one I no longer use because I am no longer involved in Debian.  Maybe this
> is the case for Erinn and Leslie too, I'm not sure.
>
> Is anyone able to edit the LDAP so that mentoring@women.debian.org points
> somewhere else?
>
> Is anyone interested and able to take over the mentoring program, which as
> far as I know hasn't operated in around 3 years or maybe longer?  It
> involved matching interested mentees with mentors who could help them to
> become involved in Debian.
>
> I'm sorry I can't help more, Emily.  Posting to this mailing list with your
> questions may be a good way to ask for help with your Debian interests, and
> it is certainly a supportive place for women to ask questions, albeit
> rather a quiet place these days.
>
> Helen

Hi Helen

So good to hear what's going on with you.  I'd no idea you'd left the Debian
project but then I guess you're quite busy anyway.  Please keep in contact
off-list if necessary - it would be good to hear how you're doing.

I'm still receiving the emails for the mentoring program and I did receive the
emails from Emily both on Tuesday afternoon and Thursday evening but I haven't
had time to reply yet.

I had my cat put to sleep on the 25th so cut myself some slack this week and
wasn't on really getting on top of emails/work until Thursday and dealing with
clients has to come first otherwise I don't earn any money.

To be honest I'm currently not up to speed on the mentoring program - I've been
busy with organising the paraphenalia taking an art group into CIO/non-profit
charitable company - all the legal hoops of what we will and won't satisfy,
meetings to discuss what when where and how, (luckily not too many meetings
about meetings yet!) combined with a move to new premises for that group and
being self-employed in the web-dev web-sysadmin fields myself, bidding for work
and doing the work, sorting out a VAT mess one of the freelance sites got me
into and just recently completing my end of year accounts.  All in all, quite
busy so the mentoring program has had to take a back seat.

I've never entirely convinced myself to create an auto-responder to initial
emails to the mentoring program.  Sometimes I think it would be a good idea and
sometimes I think the personal approach is be better even if there are time
delays in replying.  How about any comments on that ?   Who thinks an
auto-responder would be a good idea?

One benefit it might provide is an automatic skill check in terms of what
mentees might need to know/be prepared to learn in software packaging and
patching.

Also I think we need to get a how-to together on preparing your computer to
provide a build/packaging/triage/bug-fixing envronment.  That's the bit I've
come unstuck on in the past.

Kind regards

Lesley