Re: Packaging task for newbies: Separate pink-pony into program and data

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 07:07:47PM +0200, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> 2013/9/13 lesleyb <lesleyb@herlug.org.uk>
>
> > On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 05:28:30PM +0200, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Ive just uploaded pink-pony 1.3.1-1 to Debian [1] [2], and I've noticed
> > > that I should have separated the packages in program and data [3],
> > instead
> > > of having it all packaged into one single package. The main advantage of
> > > that approach -usually done with games and with other programs that have
> > > considerable architecture-independent data- is that the space occupied in
> > > the mirrors is much less.
> > >
> > > I was considering fixing it myself and doing a newer upload, but I
> > thought
> > > about what we were talking at DebConf about being able to provide
> > > reasonably easy tasks for people who are starting, so there it goes. If
> > > anyone is willing to do it, they will of course count with my help and my
> > > time, and -obviously- I will be available for doing the upload to the
> > > archive.
> > >
> > > Greetings and thanks,
> > > Miry
> > >

> > > [1] https://code.google.com/p/pink-pony/
> > > [2] http://packages.debian.org/pink-pony
> > > [3]
> > >
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-archindepdata
> >
> > Well I have been thinking about trying to package something for a little
> > while.
> >
> > Here's a question though, the package is in sid and I'm running wheezy.
> >  Does
> > that matter for packaging?
> >

> Not really, as long as you have all the dependencies available in wheezy,
> which is the case. I use pbuilder to create packages in a clean sid
> environment, no matter what I'm using in my desktop, but don't care about
> that for the moment.
>
> The brief answer in this case is, yes.
>
> The current version -everything's working except the separation between
> program and data- is not yet available in the archive, I uploaded it a
> short while ago, but it will soon be available at
> http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/pink-pony/. At that point, the
> easy way to check it would be:
>
> dget
> http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/pink-pony/pink-pony_1.3.1-1.dsc
> cd pink-pony-1.3.1
> debuild
>
> With build-essential, devscripts and the building dependencies installed.
> As it will compile and run without problem (provided that you have a OpenGL
> 2.0 capable card available, or you have emulation via software as I do),
> you will see that it will be enough for developing this package :)

So I have installed pbuilder and created a base.tgz using this command

sudo pbuilder create --distribution sid --mirror \
ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ --debootstrapopts "--keyring=/usr/share/keyrings/debian-archive-keyring.gpg"

I previously retrieved /usr/share/keyrings/debian-archive-keyring.gpg from
Ubuntu using `apt-get install debian-archive-keyring` from [1].

On attempting the `dget <URL>` as specified above,  the extract failed because
I didn't have the Debian developers keyring installed but this is also
available from the Ubuntu repositories via  `aptitude install
debian-keyring` and a subsequent dget extracted the package with no problems.
Alternatively I could have extracted using `dpkg-source -x --no-check
pink-pony_1.3.1-1.dsc` which would not have verified the package.

Attempting `pdebuild` in the relevant directory, produced

dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: debhelper (>= 9) quilt scons
dh-buildinfo mesa-common-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libglfw-dev libxrandr-dev
glee-dev libilmbase-dev libdevil-dev libftgl-dev libprotobuf-dev (>= 2)
libtinyxml-dev libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev

which is fine.

I need to read the pbuilder documentation to be able to add these components to
my sid chroot.

regards

Lesley