Re: Thank you for the welcome

 On Fri, 2012-02-24 at 20:52 -0900, kristen wrote:
> Luk,
>
> I wanted to thank you for the welcome. And also for pointing me to the
> PPC smp kernel, which is now installed. Now I have only 1 other problem
> to resolve. I haven't had the time to do a web search yet for others who
> have this problem. Basically, my icons disappear and reappear when my
> mouse points to where they should be. Or up on the toolbar the icon
> place holder might have a yellow background which disappears when I pass
> the mouse over it. Some selectable areas of an application might be a
> funky lavender color until I place the mouse over it, then it becomes
> blue, or maybe not. Its all so random. But I have Debian running on a
> PPC!! I'm so cool..
>
> Alison, I would love to know where you found the Debconf video. That
> might be fun to view. I would hope for some more insight to the whole
> Debian thing and what we as women are doing.
>
> Kristen

I thought I might mention that today I fixed my graphics problem. Not
that 'I' fixed it, I only found how to fix it.

My graphics card is an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (Mac Edition) and requires a
kernel loaded firmware. It seems that such firmware is provided by a
repository which is 'non-free'. It also appears that my default Debian
install does not include such a repository. After hours of reading web
pages via a search I found where Debian keeps it's repository info and I
was able to add this repository in. After using this thing called
'aptitude' I was able to install the firmware. A reboot later as a new
kernel was installed all appears well.

I guess I have much to learn about Debian. Especially your package
management system. And whatever aptitude is (a package manager I know).

I think this is going to be a long road for me.. *sigh*

Kristen