How to checkout and play with women.debian.org

Hi there,
Marga has noted that there's not quick how-to about working on
women.debian.org: even if we will probably change soon both the VCS and the
structure of it, maybe someone want to take a closer look.
So, here the very basics.

== Checkout ==

The website source tree is hosted on alioth and handled via svn.
You can make the checkout in two different ways:
1) as anonymous user (useful if you don't need to upload anything)
2) with your alioth account (or your DD login name)

for 1) you simply need to run:
'svn checkout svn://svn.debian.org/women'

for 2):
'svn checkout svn+ssh://alioth_account@svn.debian.org/svn/women'

If you need to remember how svn works, take a look at [1]

== The wml stuff ==

The pages are generated through wml: this means that the sources are wml
files and you need to compile them to have the .html pages (this is the
reason for a makefile in every directory ;) ).

To build the site locally you need to install wml:
'# aptitude install wml'

Then you can go into the main directory of the website tree, and launch the
compilation thing:

'cd women/trunk && make'

Now you have both the wml sources and the html output. The pages of the site
are on women/trunk/en/ while the templates are into
women/trunk/debian/women/templates.

To understand how wml works I strongly suggest to take a look at these pages
(the docs for www.debian.org) [2].

If you need to modify something *don't* *do* *that* *directly* *on* *the*
*html* or the changes you made will be lost on the next build of the site.
Every change needs to be done on the wml pages.

When you need to compile only one page, just run a 'make pagename.en.html'
into its dir (if there's also a makefile there, if not go to the closest
makefile).

Well, I think it's all :)

Feel free to ask if you have doubts.

Cheers,
Francesca

[1] http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/svn-book.html
[2] http://www.debian.org/devel/website/using_wml.en.html

--
<taffit> eof: when I want something | "Convince people with results,
done quickly, I don't wait for      |  rather than words"