UDS anti-harassment policy

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 01:08:35PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 05, 2010 at 06:45:04PM -0500, Richard Darst wrote:
> > So, people have spoken and the response is good.  I have done some
> > wiki work to try to move us towards something we can agree on.
> >
> >   http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/StandardsOfRespect

UDS (the Ubuntu Developer Summit) has published an anti-harassment
policy [1]. I attach a text version of it to this mail.

It seems to cover some extra topics with respect to the current DebConf
draft, such as diversity. Also, it makes an attempt to define a bit more
precisely what is intended to constitute "harassment"; LCA experience
has shown that the word by itself does not necessary mean the same to
everybody [2].

JFYI, in case people have missed it.

Cheers.

[1] http://uds.ubuntu.com/harassment/
[2] http://lwn.net/Articles/425661/
    (LWN article, still embargoed)

The Ubuntu project is committed to holding an Ubuntu Developer Summit (UDS)
that reflects the diversity of its community and provides a harassment-free
conference experience for everyone, regardless of ethnicity, religion,
disability, physical appearance or gender. It’s important to remember that a
community where people feel uncomfortable or threatened is not a productive
one. We expect members of the Ubuntu community to be respectful when dealing
with other UDS attendees.

Harassment of UDS participants will not be tolerated in any form. Harassment
includes offensive verbal comments related to ethnicity, religion, disability,
physical appearance or gender, sexual images in public spaces, deliberate
intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording,
sustained disruption of talks or other events, inappropriate physical contact,
and unwelcome attention. Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are
expected to comply immediately.

If a participant or exhibitor engages in harassing behavior, the conference
organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, ranging from a simple
warning the offender to expulsion from the conference. If you are being
harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other
concerns, please contact a member of conference staff immediately. Conference
staff can be identified by their t-shirts.

Conference staff will be happy to help participants contact hotel/venue
security or local law enforcement, provide escorts, or otherwise assist those
experiencing harassment to feel safe for the duration of the conference. We
value your attendance.

Contact Information: <snip>

We expect participants to follow these rules at all conference venues and
conference-related social events.