Re: let's not move backwards

2009/9/10 martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org>:
> also sprach Miriam Ruiz <miriam@debian.org> [2009.09.10.1137 +0200]:
>> I'm just thinking aloud, but I wonder if it might make sense to
>> also have a women-only mailing list, so that women who otherwise
>> wouldn't intervene can do it, kinda Systers or the Girls Only
>> mailing list at LinuxChix. Dunno if there would be demand for
>> that, but I have the feeling that something positive might come
>> from it.
>
> I would consider this a step backwards.
>
> Whenever I talk about debian-women to anyone, I am proud that we
> have managed to revolutionise Debian in many ways, and that the need
> for debian-women began to shrink, because the ideas and directions
> that this project defined and pursued spilled into pretty much all
> other parts of our project.
>
> I am proud that we've been a mixed group from the start, a group of
> people who pretty quickly saw beyond the distinction between
> genders, but set out to fix the rough style of conduct that
> cowboy-Debian used to be. I think we managed to teach a lot of
> people to tone down (myself included!), and have made Debian a more
> enjoyable place for many of us, including the men who hang out here
> and elsewhere. I think the number of posts by women has increased
> over the last five years, not by a whole lot and we still need to
> become more supportive of everyone, but in my humble opinion, we're
> on the right track.

I don't have time to properly reply now, but I just wanted to make
something clear, I am not complaining about Debian. With some
exceptions, that are really marginal, I share your feelings in being
proud of Debian being able to achieve a comfortable environment for
both men and women. I don't think that it is Debian who is failing
now. Really, I don't. Just to make it crystal clear: I think that
Debian is doing really great. My suggestion shall not be interpreted
at all as a criticism to Debian.

Once that is said, I'm just wondering why we are not being able to get
more women on board. I know that the main problem comes from outside
Debian, and we just don't have control over the society in general. My
fuzzy proposal wants to target that somehow.

Greetings,
Miry