Re: Learning now coding in Perl :-)

2008/5/27 Carmen Marcela Alegria C. <alegria071@yahoo.com.mx>:

>  http://www.unix.com.ua/orelly/perl3/index.htm
>

> --- Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@tamay-dogan.net>
> escribió:
>
>> Hi Girls,
>>
>> I am coding in ASM, C, PHP, COBOL, PASCAL, CP/M,
>> FORTRAN and SH
>> and now I am ongoing to learn Perl...  :-)
>>
>> Since I am currently not financial-fit I am looking
>> for a FREE
>> (of charge) tutorial or documentation for
>> Perl-Programming.

http://www.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/perldoc/

I didn't catch the earlier parts of this thread in my inbox but I
noticed in the archives everyone has been talking about man perl
and that you have been using perldoc for modules.
'perldoc perl' will get you pretty much the same thing as 'man perl'
seems to - always used the former myself.

Always use
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
as the first line of your scripts and make them executable
or
#!/usr/bin/perl -wT
when writing perl scripts for cgi and stick to the rules for untainting data.

Get to know CPAN and the cpan although be very aware you can break a
Debian perl installation by overriding the Debian installation of perl
with CPAN modules.
If you really need the latest in perl you'd have to run testing or
unstable I guess.

HTH

L.