what makes a company more attractive to IT women?

I've been involved in a lot of discussions with IT women that address this question, but usually from the periphery. That is, someone will post a message about behavior (in, say, a job interview) that's a turn-off, making the woman decide that this company is probably not a good choice for woman who wants to get ahead, or to just enjoy her job.

But I've been thinking about this, particularly as I continue in the series of articles I've been writing about Women in IT. (Which I hope you _like_, and don't make me seem like a pest. I don't want to be a pest.) I'm planning to write another article, this time with more input from IT women (not just CIOs, though I expect I'll get some input from them), looking for the attributes/behaviors that a smart company can adopt to make itself more attractive to women.

I want to make this largely about POSITIVE things that companies can do -- not just the painful anecdotes. Certainly, there will be value in mentioning the turn-offs. But it'd be ideal if I could enumerate "7 ways to make your company more attractive to IT women" -- the "DO THIS" not just "DO NOTs."

For instance, one obvious attraction is flexible work options (which obviously appeals to both genders, but certainly is a Plus for women with small children).

Anyway -- I'm hereby collecting input. Ideally you can share your name, company, and position with me. Private messages are fine, though I dare say there's value to be had by making this a public discussion.

I'm hoping to collect information this week and next week (though I'm about to disappear for a few days to the Microsoft MIX conference). Then I'll compile and turn into an article that, I hope, may make life just a little bit easier for techie women.

Esther Schindler
(in her devilish disguise as senior online editor, CIO.com)