Re: Duo Core processor 4Gb Ram laptop

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 10:46:57PM +0000, Diana Scott wrote:
> Hi
>
> I went to the sales earlier and noticed the latest laptops have Due Core
> processor speed of 2Ghz with 4Gb RAM. I wonder what activities a laptop with
> Duo Core or Centrino 2 with 4 Gb ram can achieve where a laptop with Centrino
> (Pentium M) 1.7Ghz with 2Gb ram with debian 5.0 Lenny or Ubuntu 8.10 cannot do
> equally as good, given the same knowledge for both laptops.
>
> Diana
due core|2ghz|4gb
centrino|1.7ghz|2gb
hmm. they look similar.
the capabilities are not just limited to processor and ram. For a better
comparison, you would need to know what support they have in the Kernel
for things like graphics card, video camera, usb ports, sound chips,
etc. And then you need to determine what your needs are. For general
use (web surfing, writing, playing music) both are fine. But then again,
I have an OLPC XO-1 and I can do those things with a 7" screen, 128MB
ram and a 400mhz processor. The more powerful task like photo editing,
compiling source code, playing games, and editing video are were you
will see the different in the laptops.
-Kev
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|