Re: before building a debian package...

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Maria Nelson <pineapple225@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm learning to build gpsim, it's up for adoption anyway. I think the latest
> debian version is 0.22.0-5, but the one I'm able to download from
> sourceforge is 0.22.0, so it seems that debian has a newer version than
> upstream is distributing. I'm a little puzzled, but I guess that's okay, I'm
> just practicing.

Maria,

The -5 version means it's the 5th revision of that version released in
Debian. The version changes can be for a variety of things, like fixes
for bugs filed against the package that the maintainer fixed with a
patch, fixes to the package infrastructure, translations, or even
changes to the maintainer information.

Essentially, it's not really a newer version than upstream, but it
might have some patches that are not yet applied upstream (but should
have been sent if they were bug fixes and such that could be helpful
upstream, so maybe upstream will include them in the next release). If
you were to release a version it would be 0.22.0-6 and the changelog
would report a new maintainer and hopefully some bug fixes if any are
open against the package.

This is helpful for understanding the full package name:
http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-pkg_basics.en.html#s-pkgname

HTH,

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2