Interesting project

Hi all,

I've recently been contacted by a member of the Eleonore Digital
Project. In a nutshell they are organising a project where groups of
students all over Europe work together in creating an educational
computer game that deals with Eleanor of Aquitaine[0]. Each team is
assigned an episode or a certain aspect of Eleonore's life and they will
research this, draft a concept and finally create their respective part
or episode of the game. Doing this they will only work with free
software, namely Debian as the Operating System, OOo, Blender etc ...
A longer (and better) description of what they want to do is below, even
more information can be found on their project description[1] or on the
project site itself[2].

The project approached me since they are trying to expand their network
with regard to other groups with similar objectives. They are asking if
it would be okay if they put our logo and a link on their website, which
I guess would kind of express that they have our "blessing" or something
like that. I personally think that would be okay. The project seems to
be a Good Thing[tm] and I am actually quite happy that they picked
Debian as their operating system. I think Debian being used in a school
project is a nice example that it is in fact not as "user-unfriendly" as
it is often claimed to be and being associated with something like that
 wouldn't be too bad.

Opinions?

Best,
Meike

-------------------8<---------snip----------8<-------------------

Eleonore Digital

The project Eleonore Digital aims at establishing a cooperation between
secondary school students (aged 14-19) within the European Union.

The project's final objective is an educational 3D software in the form
of an educational game created by the students themselves. The content
of this software evolves around Eleanor of Aquitaine's life which will
be processed in an up-to-date and enthralling way by the students in
several work stages.

Therefore, the core purposes of the project - the demonstration of the
exceptional role of women in power in European history, the
manifestation of gender mainstreaming in the classroom and the
emancipated and professional use of virtual space - are independently
accomplished and simultaneously woven together into a virtual network by
the individual groups of students. Subsequently, the finalized
multilingual educational software will be made available via free download.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleanor_of_Aquitaine
[0] http://www.p-o-s-t.org/index.en.php?action=eleonore
[2] http://www.eleonore-digital.org