Re: Is it ok for me to be here?

Heh, nice domain name, Helen. :-)

On 29/09/2007, Helen Faulkner <helen@thousand-ships.com> wrote:
> Anyone is allowed to join this list and you are welcome if you share our goal of
> wanting to increase the involvement of women in Debian.

So I did this, quite inadvertently. My flatmates, a couple, were
seeing how I was using Debian, and they got interested. Being total
newbies, I thought they would be better off with n00buntu, but there
were hardware problems, lockups, and fed-up I said, "that's it, you're
getting Debian *stable*", and so it has been. I installed it for them,
set it up, and wished them look. It's been good to them.

I didn't expect this, because by her own admission she isn't much of a
computer geek, but it turned out that the female component of that
couple has gotten much more into Debian than he has. She's been
learning quite quickly and loving it. She's even curious about free
software philosophy and ordered a wireless card with a Ralink chipset
just to get it working with free drivers.

I spoke to her about this mailing list, and she seemed mildly
interested. By the looks of it, quite a few DDs or maybe just devs in
general.

I can't imagine she would ever be interested in coding, but then
again, I was surprised that she has been this committed to Debian to
begin with. Maybe she'll be a DD too some day. She is a very
meticulous and analytical. Maybe some day. :-)

- Jordi G. H.