Re: errors building a .deb

On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 04:23:37PM +1000, Sonia Hamilton wrote:
> * On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 12:35:43AM +1000, Sonia Hamilton wrote:
> > I'm building (my first) .deb file from source (Closes: #304450), and
>
> I'm running lintian on my .deb as per [1]. I've cleaned up all the
> problems except these two:
>
> > W: grabc: menu-command-not-in-package /usr/lib/menu/grabc:2 /usr/bin/grabc
> > N:
> > N:   The menu item specifies a command which is not available in the
> > N:   package. In most cases this is a typo or after you moved a binary
> > N:   around, but forgot to update the menu file.
>
> Does this mean I need to add the package providing /usr/bin/update-menus
> as a depends to control?
>
> > W: grabc: file-in-unusual-dir grabc
> > N:
> > N:   This file or symbolic link is in a directory where files are not
> > N:   normally installed by Debian packages. If this is deliberate, please
> > N:   contact lintian-maint@debian.org to make Lintian accept this as a
> > N:   usual directory.
>
> Not sure what to do here...

I think these two problems have the same cause.

In the binary package, where does the grabc binary actually sit?  (If you
use less magic, less <binary package> will give you a manifest; otherwise
dpkg -c <binary package> will do the trick)  The chances are you've dropped
the binary into / or something intead of /usr/bin; hence there's no
/usr/bin/grabc so you get the first problem, and then since the file is in
fact in /grabc you get the second problem.

> Interestingly, linda doesn't give any errors.

Ooh, make Steve's day and report a bug with a patch.  <grin>

- Matt