Re: intro

Helen,

thanks for the reply *smile*.

> I have to stop you there and admit that I did not go
> to FOSDEM.  So
> unless there is another Helen Faulkner, I suspect
> you are mixing me up
> with Hanna Wallach, who did go to FOSDEM and spoke
> there.  But it's not
> problem - I am happy to be mistaken for Hanna any
> day :)

     Yes you're right it was _Hannah_ and not _Helen_
i met at FOSDEM.  just now i looked at the d-w
/profiles/ page, my mistake! *smile*

> Why did you become interested in Debian to
> start with?

five years ago an artist/tech/hacker friend of mine
found it shocking that i had never touched linux so he
installed redhat on an extra tower i had lying around
(an install without a gui!).  i come from a pure math
(not applied) background, not computer science or IT
so i had never caught the *nix bug.  so after chunking
away on a rh install with no gui i decided that audio
wasn't very far away and set myself up a tower with a
4 in 10 out audio card.  at the time the card wasn't
completely supported by alsa and redhat failed
miserably with both my video card, my dvd-rom drive,
and the 4x10 card.  at this point in my life i was
starting to get into electrical re-engineering.  i
found it funny that i could get microcontrollers to
send real time sensor data wirelessly and communicate
with positioning systems, and get an entire basement
of mac/win towers to sync to that data and make
multichannel audio BUT my linux tower at home wouldn't
recognize its standard hardware.  at this point
another friend of mine stepped in and installed debian
(via knoppix) across ssh from california to new york.
needless to say he got my audio card to work.  since
then i've become an open source fan, working on a real
time dj/vj system with multichannel audio on dvds
using mplayer source.

> Well, new helpers are always welcome :)  I hope that
> you do find the
> time and inclination to become more active someday,
> because it's fun and
> most people seem to get a lot out of their
> involvement in Debian and
> Debian Women.
>
> Helen.

i would love to find some way to help in a couple of
months... (until the end of june i have my master's
thesis, day job, audio engineering job, home hacking,
and my band to occupy my waking hours *smile*)  i will
keep you posted.  any help that's needed in french to
english or english to french translation, audio audio
audio, and now that i think of it anything that makes
myth-tv easier for others to install on a debian box.
i have a ton of artists/musicians for whom i consult
and code.  they are all very close to switching from
mac or win to linux but it's kind of still a
no-womans-land out there as far as how to set up a box
from start to finish for real time audio.  demudi is
kind of wonky, knoppix doesn't include puredata and
the tcl/tk libraries that puredata needs, and neither
do well to explain how the heck your soundcard should
be optimised.  not sure if d-w needs a resident audio
kid, but i'm your girl.

===fabienne===