Re: the experience of Arab women in FOSS

Quoting Bruce Byfield (bbyfield@axion.net):
> Hi:
>
> As you may know, in countries such as Saudi Arabia, many women feel
> constrained about revealing their gender and names on-line. I am
> preparing a story for Newsforge about this phenomenon, especially as it
> applies to the FOSS community. One aspect that would be especially
> interesting is the question of whether the same constraints apply in the
> FOSS community as in the general world of computing.
>
> If you have any knowledge of this situation, or know somebody who does,
> I would appreciate it if you contacted me privately. Since anonymity is
> important to many of the women involved, I undertake not to use
> anybody's name in the finished article, nor to give any details that
> might allow them to be identified.

I'm in quite close contact with the Arabeyes.org people, team of
Arabic translators (who actually are doing most of the Arabic
translations in FOSS).

I can maybe forward your request over there if you think it would be
appropriate and in case someone from their community wants to get in
touch with you.

As far as I know, the Arabeyes people are only men (or actually show
themselves as men). I know there are people from Saudi Arabia working
in the Arabeyes project (though not that many) as well as some from
the Gulf.