Re: hello + UTF-8

On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 04:16:28PM +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> >I visited http://www.linux-india.org/ with two different browsers.
> >The page is broken, but the importand thing can be seen:

> >The third line on the right has one of the vovel signs in question
> >applied, too.
> >I looked the page with two OSX apps, but that should be no problem.
> >
> >- - Omniweb shows the f-like character behind the first letter.
> >- - Safari shows it in front of the first letter.
> >
> >So it must be more an application problem. If I paste it to a mail,
> >both of them look equal:
> >
> >लिनक्स-इन्डिया में
> >आपका स्वागत है।
> >
> >I see the f-like thingy at the beginning of the line here, when
> >writing the mail. That is like Safari shows it and not like Omniweb
> >shows it.
> >I think, the same might happen for different X applications.
> >
> >The problem now is to find out, where the vovel sign should be
> >placed. Then one can file bugs. ;-)

> The really interesting thing here is that this eliminates the
> decomposed/precomposed Unicode bug in this case: both Safari and
> OmniWeb are Cocoa applications, and thus will display both decomposed
> and precomposed Unicode appropriately.

> I need to test this more with svashka's languages, though, although
> they have the same combined-diacritic issues that mine does.

> Undoubtedly she should be using a precomposed layout, and i really
> wonder if the charmap _is_ a precomposed layout, since the position
> of diacritics varies in different apps, and that tends to be an
> artifact of decomposed input, where the character is not input as one
> whole character, but the vowel and accents are input separately, and
> thus can become separated during display, and even (in my becoming-
> famous case) have unanchored accents chase the cursor around the page!

FWIW, I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as a precomposed layout for
devanagari script; the combinatorics (pairing each possible vowel sign with
each possible consonant character, plus arbitrary numbers of combining forms
for consonant clusters) don't lend themselves to assigning a separate
Unicode codepoint for each combination, and indeed, I don't see any sign of
these combos in Unicode.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer