Re: adding gender field on debian developer's database (from debian-devel)

I totally agree with Don. There are differences between the meaning of the
words "sex" and "gender", and you will be able to find quite a lot of
bibliography on that if you want. In case it is added to the database, I'd
find it much better to add a "gender" field. Anyway, I'm not sure that it
would be neccesary at all, or even a good idea. In any case, if it was
implemented, I think it should be optional to fill.

Greetings,
Miry

 --- Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> escribió:

> On Mon, 01 Aug 2005, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-08-01 at 22:12 +0200, fabienne s wrote:
> > > so i'm interested in what you think here on the list about
> > > including someone's gender (i *think* that's what he meant by
> > > "sex" below) in the debian developer's database?
> >
> > No, he meant sex :-) In English (at least in British English) gender
> > is a grammatical concept, whereas sex is a biological concept
>
> It's moderately more complex than that. Gender can refer to any
> categorization of things, from the grammatical, to the biological;
> even computer connectors have gender.
>
> Sex is generally reserved for the categorization of things based on
> their reproductive structures (and various activities related to those
> reproductive structures.)
>
> So in this case, either word works properly; 'Sex' merely being more
> specific; 'Gender' often being more polite.
>

> Don Armstrong

Renovamos el Correo Yahoo!
Nuevos servicios, más seguridad
http://correo.yahoo.es