Re: A list for D-W translators

On Thu Jul 28 at 10:08 (-0400), Erinn Clark wrote:
> I'm of a similar opinion as Herman -- I think that we do need to
> integrate ourselves properly into Debian and this has not happened in a
> lot of ways, but I see the translation team as a possibility for
> integration.

This does make sense to me. I wrote earlier that I would be interested
in reading a d-w-translators list, but I already read d-i18n and
d-l10n-fr and wouldn't be surprised if they could do the job here.

That said, I'm not sure which issues Clytie and al. would like to
discuss on a hypothetical d-w-transl list. And of course I can't speak
in the name of other people on the already existing lists ;)

> I don't know anything about translation lists so I really have no idea
> whether any of them are suitable, but if someone could look into this
> and report back, I would appreciate it.

The d-l10n-fr list is used mostly to handle attribution of work needing
to be done and for peer review of translations. I would expect other
d-l10n-* lists to be the same. d-l10n-fr is certainly the right place to
review French translations of d-w material.

The d-i18n list, afaik, is about all things i18n in Debian. It is rather
low traffic.

I'm guessing the hypothetical d-w-transl list would be used mostly
(only?) for i18n issues (e.g. problems with unicode are i18n issues).

So, yes, based on what I understand would be the purpose of the
d-w-transl list, d-i18n could be used instead.

Come to think about it, that could be an occasion to improve i18n in
Debian at large.

HTH,
Thomas "who should go back to finish reviewing aptitude's translation to
French"