Re: Science fiction?

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 07:41:58PM +0200, Meike Reichle wrote:
> PS: Hanna, I hope you keep counting. I want numbers! ;)

I did a count today, since the thread has largely died down. The

Máirín -- doesn't read sci. fi., watches Star Wars and Star Trek
Luk -- doesn't read or watch sci. fi.
Michelle Konzack -- watches Star Trek, Voyager, Deep Space 9
Fabienne -- watches Dr. Who, reads non-sci. fi. with lots of tech.
Michelle Klein-Hass -- reads and watches sci. fi.
Erinn -- doesn't read or watch sci. fi.
Akkana -- reads sci. fi.
Lyz -- reads and watches sci. fi.
Javier Candeira -- reads and watch sci. fi.
Meike -- reads and watches sci. fi.
Jutta -- rarely reads sci. fi.
Christine -- reads sci. fi. and fantasy, watches Star Wars
Ana Guerrero -- reads and watches sci. fi.
Helen -- reads sci. fi. and fantasy
Cere Davis -- never reads sci. fi., rarely watches it
Samantha Ollinger -- reads sci. fi.
Clytie -- reads sci. fi.
Mirjam Lindberg -- reads a lot of sci. fi. and fantasy
Marga -- more into fantasy than sci. fi.
Hanna -- rarely reads sci. fi, never watches it

Seems to me that the counts are as follows.

For women, we have:

both: 5 (Michelle K.-H., Lyz, Meike, Christine, Ana)
neither: 3 (Erinn, Jutta, Cere, Hanna)
watches: 4 (Máirín, Michelle K., Fabienne,
reads: 6 (Akkana, Helen, Sam, Clytie, Mirjam, Marga)

And for men:

both: 1 (Javier)
neither: 1 (Luk)

(Do correct me if you believe any of these are wrong!)

For some reason (and I'm not sure why) I hadn't expected there to be
such an even distribution. I had also expected that there would be
more women who neither read not watch science fiction. Interesting.

Regards,

--
hanna m. wallach
blog: http://join-the-dots.org/