errors building a .deb

I'm building (my first) .deb file from source (Closes: #304450), and
getting this error when I run debuild. Can anyone suggest what I'm doing
wrong?

> dh_installdirs
>         install -d debian/grabc
>         install -d debian/grabc/usr/bin
> # Add here commands to install the package into debian/grabc.
> /usr/bin/make install
> DESTDIR=/home/sonia/debian/grabc/grabc-1.1/debian/grabc
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/sonia/debian/grabc/grabc-1.1'
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.

Obviously, I need to fix up my install target, but where/how? In the
makefile that comes with the tgz, or debian/rules?

Here's the install target from debian/rules:

> install: build
>         dh_testdir
>         dh_testroot
>         dh_clean -k
>         dh_installdirs
>
>         # Add here commands to install the package into debian/grabc.
>         $(MAKE) install DESTDIR=$(CURDIR)/debian/grabc

Here's a complete listing of my directories. I get the error when I run
debuild in grabc-1.1 or debian:

--
Sonia Hamilton. GPG key A8B77238.
.