Re: New FLOSS Survey on Skills, Employment

Hello,

On Apr 1 2005, Miriam Ruiz wrote:

I found this http://it.slashdot.org/it/05/03/31/2311233.shtml?tid=156&tid=162&tid=117&tid=8 in Slashdot:

The EU-funded FLOSSPOLS project is carrying out a
survey of developers worldwide. This is a follow-up to
the original FLOSS (Free/Libre/Open Source Software)
survey in 2002, which was one of the first and most
comprehensive surveys of developers - who they are,
how they work and why they do it. The new survey aims
to provide an update, include new developers, and
answer some of the questions that were raised by the
first one. In particular, how do developer communities
help in learning skills and generating employment, and
why is the level of participation by women so low?

The new survey is found at:

http://flosspols.org/survey/survey_part.php?groupid=sd

Thank you very much for announcing the survey, Miriam. I am one of the researchers involved in it. For a survey which has a focus on gender issues in free/libre/open source software it would be great if there would be many women taking part in it so that we would get both a representative picture of the situation of women in the community as well as a large enough sample size to undertake more detailed statistical analysis.

Unfortunately it was announced at slashdot as a developer survey. However we think that the success of free software in general and free software projects in particular is dependent on far more activities as well. Thereby we think of participants who translate, document, promote, take part in install parties, maintain websites, moderate mailing lists, etc. Indeed one of the aims of the survey is to get a more detailed idea of the different forms of participation in relation to questions relevant to learning and gender.

Thank you for considering to take part in the survey and to forward it to people you know within the community.

Bernhard