Re: Opening doors for women in computing

Amaya wrote:
http://news.com.com/Opening+doors+for+women+in+computing/2100-1022_3-5557311.html

That's a really interesting article Amaya.  Thanks for posting it.

I wonder how many other people here experienced a similar thing to what the woman interviewed relates: namely that the apparent level of programming expertise of the men in her course, before the course even started, was so high that she felt incompetant by comparison and was discouraged from pursuing it further.

In an electrical engineering degree, started 12 years ago, I certainly experienced similar things. It was part of what put me off from doing more programming/IT subjects. I got back into being interested in programming several years later via my physics research. I became interested in FOSS some time after that.

I would be interested to know who else has had similar experiences, when that was, and what brings them here now with a interest in FOSS. I would hope that it is a trend that is decreasing, and that women starting CS/IT/engineering degrees now are not being similarly discouraged from pursuing programming and similar courses. Or at least not as much, anyway.

My approximate theory is that, on average, women follow a different route to being interested in things like Debian and FOSS compared to the average man, and that my experiences are not unusual. But I might be all wrong on that - I'm going on anecdotal evidence only.

Helen