Re: package adoption question

Ar 10/02/2005 am 01:39, ysgrifennodd Sonia Hamilton:
> A package adoption question:
>
> Thierry's article [1] mentions using email to adopt a package, which I
> did [2]. But the wnpp page [3] says to use reportbug to adopt a package.

Doing it by sending an email yourself is fine. Using Reportbug is just
for convenience. Actually, when you use Reportbug, all it does is send a
mail on your behalf.

> * is my ITA (Intent To Adopt) correctly formatted? (see bottom of [2])

Your email is indeed correctly formatted. The only problem is that you
didn't send it to control@bugs.debian.org as well as
288521@bugs.debian.org. This is very easily done, but it's also easily
rectified. All you need to do is to send the exact same email again, but
this time, send it to control@bugs.debian.org only.

Since this is quite a common ocurrence, I think it's worth me spending
some time trying to clarify what's happened.

When you send a mail to a bug (e.g. 123456@bugs.debian.org, where 123456
is the bug number), the only person who gets that mail is the owner of
the bug[0]. A copy of your mail is also kept in the bug logs, which is
what you see on the http://bugs.debian.org website, and which you can
also request a copy of by email.

Mail to bugs themselves is not scanned for commands -- only mail to
control@bugs.debian.org is.

So, 123456@bugs.debian.org is for contacting the owner and recoding in
the bug log, and control@bugs.debian.org is for sending commands.
However, it's possible to do both at the same time. This is nice because
it lets you attach an explanation to what you're doing, and send one
email instead of two. It's possible because the control bot ignores text
after a "thanks" or a "--" line, so you can put an explanation after the
commands. The key is to remember to send to both the bug and the control
bot when you send the mail.

To summarise, there's three main ways of doing things with an existing
bug report:

 - Send mail to the bug (123456@bugs.debian.org). Commands are not
   processed, the mail is sent to the owner, and the mail is included in
   the bug log.

 - Send mail to the control bot (control@bugs.debian.org). Commands are
   processed, the mail is sent to the owner, and the mail is included in
   the bug log, but the text is not shown on the bug's page. (It is
   linked to, though.)

 - Send mail to both at once, with commands, a "thanks" line, and then
   some text.

I hope this is helpful. I hope somebody will point of if I made any
mistakes.

[0] Actually, that's not strictly true. People who are subscribed to the
    package in question via the Package Tracking System[1] (PTS) will
    get the email, and the debian-bugs-dist mailing list[2] gets a copy.

[1] http://packages.qa.debian.org/

[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-bugs-dist/

--
Dafydd