Re: The prevailing Debian culture

On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 09:54:06PM +0200, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> I'm starting to think that some people have very
> closed view and think everybody's experience is and
> must be as them (I'm talking about Andrew in this
> case).

Yeah, it's real easy to dismiss somebody like that. Except that I
wasn't talking about me at all (I *never* mix up "I" and "we").

> I've been involved in some other free software
> projects, this is not the first time I do something in
> this world, and I know how some of them work. It's not
> that everything is perfect and everybody marvellous,
> but it's not as dark and awful as you (Andrew) are
> trying to make it sound.

I cannot stress this point enough:

If you are looking for "friendly" or "gratitude" or "respect" or "ego
gratification" - LOOK SOMEWHERE ELSE. This is the place to look for
(ironically) extreme equalitarianism - everything you say or do will
be dispassionately analysed without regard for who you are or what you
have done in the past. Everything stands or falls on its own merits.

I am seriously disturbed by the notion that you interpret it as "dark
and awful". That's a strong suggestion that you have the wrong outlook
to survive in Debian. "Inevitably necessary and not a big deal" is how
I would describe it.

> BTW, I haven't answered to all the threads I wanted in
> the list to avoid making it a noisy one, and to avoid
> redundant answers, but I do share most of Carla's
> points of view. I just wanted to make that clear, in
> case someone thought that silence meant a different
> thing.

Silence means Warnock's dilemma.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |