Re: X Setup Question

Ce jour Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Raquel Rice a dit:

> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:44:56 -0700
> Raquel Rice <raquel@thericehouse.net> wrote:
>
> > I've gotten the Gnome login screen to come up.  I can even login.
> > Thank you everyone for your help.  There's a problem though.
> >
> > The screen is way too large.  I've edited configuration using
> > dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86, but it doesn't change what the
> > screen looks like.  I've edited the configurtion file directly,
> > and the screen still is WAY too large (I'm only seeing maybe 1/4
> > of the page).
> >
> > I've looked at the documentation but can't find the answer I need.
> >
> > Can anyone help?
> >
> > --
> > Raquel
>
> It's working!  Now I just have to find a window manager with Gnome
> works with.  :(

to switch wms in gnome, is rather intricate, but relatively easy.

1. open up an x terminal;
2. open up the session manager, then click on the current session (?)
tab;
3. click on the wm that's currently running, then change it to "normal"
instead of "respawn". this is to prevent gnome from restarting it when
you kill it
4. now kill the wm with a "killall $name_of_wm_process";
5. from the term you opened, launch the wm of choice;
6. now exit the session, but make sure to save the session;
7. now next time you launch the session, your wm of choice should be the
one running.

there's another way of doing that, but through the guts of gconf with
gconf-editor, but it's more complicated and you have to do some of the
above steps anyway :|.

s/

--
Cold pizza and cold coffee, second best thing to cold pizza and warm beer.