male v. female interactions (was:Re: Supporters brief-up)

On Sunday 25 July 2004 3:41 pm, Helen Faulkner wrote:
> I am thinking about some of the comments made on the list about the
> issue of women being treated more gently than men, or similar ideas.  If
> I recall correctly, some people are worried about the idea that we might
> be percieved as wanting special treatment.  I understand the worry and I
> agree with it, but with a qualification which is based on my experience
> in another male dominated field with which I have more experience
> (academic physics).
>
> The problem is that in a community that is very male dominated, men
> learn to interact only with other men.  They end up with a set of
> behaviours that work well when you are interacting with men.

I've always thought of it not as male or female behavior, exactly, but
rude/hostile v. courteous/welcoming. I know quite a few men geeks who avoid
certain online communities and LUGs because they are dominated by rude, mean
twits, it's not just a "girly" thing. And I have never seen a man attacked
just for being male. There's quite a large difference between 'you are stupid
and wrong, and here is why' and 'you dumb woman, take some Midol. Wanna go
out with me?'

I do know that under no circumstances do we need to justify, or feel
apologetic, for wanting groups like Debian-Women.

Carla Schroder
this message brought to you
by Libranet 2.8 and Kmail