Re: Friendly lists (was:Is "debian-women" crashed ?)

Hi,

I totally agree. I don't thing women are essentially less aggresive than men, although I must admit that at least in my environment men are most likely to show their aggresivity than us, maybe because of education.

Anyway, I'd like the list to be explicitly a friendly environment. I personally wouldn't dare to join any of the lists you mentioned because of that. Even more, at least speaking for what I know about me and my female friends, I think most of us wouldn't be comfortable in an aggresive list, even if it was a women-only list.

Greetings,
Miry

Carla Schroder <carla@bratgrrl.com> wrote:
On Sunday 18 July 2004 11:13 am, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> a (perhaps inconsequential) nit to pick: while i'm all for supportive,
> non-flaming lists, do you think there's either something inherent in a
> women's list that will foster this environment (underlying assumption:
> women are less aggressive than men), and/or that this place should
> EXPLICITLY be a friendly environment?  i feel like all lists ought to
> be friendly, but it turns out that flame wars do come up and people do
> get told to RTFM if they clearly haven't, and that while some of that
> is okay, a lot more than that gets tolerated on those lists.  should
> the mission statement of this list, then, include a bit about the
> desired environment or vibe, and if and how that'll be enforced?

Nope, there's nothing inherent in women's lists that fosters a friendly
atmosphere. I could name a few women's lists that are chock full of whiny
unfriendly grumps, but I won't. :) The different is in whoever creates and
administers the list. It doesn't happen by accident- it is an explicit
policy, and sometimes it takes a fair amount of work to keep it that way.

As far as rules and policies go, the fewer rules you have, the better. More
rules just create more loopholes and nitpicking. I don't know what Erinn has
in mind; I believe that us "founding members" can do a lot, just by minding
our own manners and setting a good example. (shut up Erinn, I can too be
nice! Often!)

Carla Schroder
this message brought to you
by Libranet 2.8 and Kmail