Re: Internation list (was: Is "debian-women" crashed ?)

on Sat, 17 Jul 2004 09:42:23PM -0700, Carla Schroder insinuated:

> > > Danke... War schon ne ganze weile am Gehirnwindungen umdrehen...
> >
> > yo, this is an english list ... no need to post things to the
> > whole list that the non-german-speaking population can't
> > understand.
>
> Well, we have all kinds of Brazilian and Italian and who knows what
> else people here-

i realize this -- just like we do on debian-user.

> I don't have a problem with a multi-language list.

eh, i could go either way -- i'd just like to decide which it is.

> Maybe down the road we should look at language-specific lists?

like debian-user-german, or the other debian-user-* language lists?
debian-women-french; &c.?

ideally, this is what i'd do if people would like to do have a
multilingual list.  it seems to me that the the default in the debian
list structure so far (correct me if i'm wrong) (we could also deviate
from this) is that there are language-specific lists for the -user
list, but the rest (debian-powerpc; debian-apache; whatever else
exists) are monolingual.  yes?

my argument for monolingual lists would be that it's just confusing --
if i don't read portuguese, for example, and an issue starts being
debated in portuguese on-list, i have no way of reading it or
contributing to it.  i feel that -- in the same way that if a post
isn't relevant to the stated topic of the list it shouldn't be posted
-- that posts in different languages become irrelevant.  it's just the
wrong forum for it.  i wouldn't bring up cooking issues on this list
because i think that a list of women would be useful for those
questions, because it's simply not the right forum.  i'd find a
cooking list.  i just like the idea of the Right Forum for each
discussion.

does debian have a list-wide policy on languages?  or should each list
decide its own?  if the latter, i guess this is another issue that's
open to debate, and that we should decide soon ...

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori

++     Sponsor me as I run my SECOND marathon for AIDS:       ++
++ http://www.aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=DC-2844 ++